Student Rights

Are you aware of your student rights and responsibilities? In Australia there are laws to protect international students’ rights. Australian government provide information for international students wishing to study in Australia. This includes information about visa and immigration process, institution and course options, work rights, scholarships, and more.

Accommodation rights

In Australia there are states laws to protect the rights of tenants and landlords. They cover many areas including: landlord and tenant obligations, landlord right of entry to premises, payment and refund of security bonds, inspection sheets, rent in advance and rental increases, repairs and maintenance, lease agreements and termination of agreements and dispute resolution. Find out more information in our website.

Work rights and responsibilities

As international student you are allowed to work a limited number of hours fortnight. You may get a casual or part time job to help pay your living expenses. It’s important that you learn your basic rights in the workplace. You can find more information about it on CISA website or at the Fair Work site. You may also be interested in learning more about your rights and responsibilities regarding unpaid trials, student placements and internships.

Community Legal Centres

International students’ interests are protected by the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) framework. It also protects Australia’s reputation for delivering quality education services by setting out standards, roles and responsibilities for education institutions. In Australia there are some organisations international students can access to get legal information or services. Some of them are: Overseas Students Ombudsman, and Tuition Protection Service.

How to report? 

Complaints from international students about private education providers in Australia are investigated by the Overseas Students Ombudsman. Therefore, if you have a complaint about the quality of your school, college or university we suggest to report it to them. You can make a complaint online, by telephone, fax, mail, using an interpreter, or via the National Relay Service. Complaints might be about:

  • Refusing admission to a course
  • Fees and refunds
  • Course or provider transfers
  • Course progress or attendance
  • Cancellation of enrolment
  • Accommodation or work arranged by your provider
  • Incorrect advice given by an education agent.